To Index
A fire department was organized in 1914 after the Town of Kensington was incorporated. The original Fire Hall was located beside the old post office in Town Square. There happened to be a driveway built between the two buildings to accommodate the mailman, who needed to travel to the back of the building. The original building was equipped with a bell on top that had ropes hanging down in front to a lighted area. In the early days, if anyone saw a fire, they would simply run to the fire hall and ring the bell. A glass box with the key to the hall was also provided beside the door, so that anyone could gain access during an emergency. This building was eventually torn down and a new fire hall was erected in 1962. (Historical Society)
To Text