To Index
In 1977, the fire department settled into new facilities at the Kensington Community Center, moving out of the fire hall constructed in 1962. This 1962 fire hall had been built to accommodate the new fire engines that had been purchased by the Town of Kensington. Three trucks-- including the 1956 American Marsh, 1961 La France and the 1956 Ford Tanker-- could hold 500 gallons, 600 gallons and 1600 gallons respectively. In 1972, a three-way radio communication was incorporated and fireman gained a major advantage for fighting fires, especially in the rural communities. In 1973, there were fifteen firemen on staff, although one man-- Gordon Kennedy-- was lost in a fire later that year. (Kensington Fire Department)
To Text